Rockland Mansion, a splendid example of Federalist architecture built in 1810, is the first of the Fairmount Park Mansions successfully converted for private use. Leased on a long term basis by the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia, the three upper floors and the stair were restored to their original aesthetic with new HVAC, lighting and life safety features discreetly placed.
Working in concert with the Fairmount Park Historic Preservation Trust, missing sash and doors were rebuilt, fireplaces, hearths, mouldings, hardware, and flooring were restored. Historical paint analysis identified original colors which were then faithfully applied. The exterior pebble dash stucco was repaired and painted, and new shutters were constructed .
The lower floor serves the modern business needs of the organization with its handicapped entrance, toilet rooms, library, and office functions.